follow the instruction
Stereotypes, as we have come to understand, are assumptions that some individuals have about certain groups. Stereotypes can span across race, gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual preference, and many other areas. In this discussion, we will explore one group that is often stereotyped and victimized by “othering.”
Please watch the “Disability” video. This video explores the many ways we can celebrate and correct the misperceptions concerning disability.
DISABILITY | How You See Me
How to Practice Understanding | How You See Me
In your initial post, please address the following:
- Describe an experience you had that involved someone with a disability. This can be yourself or someone else. How did others respond to the person with the disability?
- How could a video like this change that response?
- What do you think is the hardest part of responding to a person with a disability as a person rather than as a disability?
- What one step would you recommend to others to avoid othering those with disabilities?
- Did this video change your core understanding of disability?
- In your view, which created the biggest impact–the words that were spoken or the images the viewer saw? Defend your choice.
- How did this video change your core understanding of stereotype?
Respond meaningfully to one peer post considering the following:
- Compare and contrast the peer’s response to the video with your own. In what ways were they the same? In what ways were they different? What does this tell you about stereotype?
- What did you learn from the student’s post?
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.
Estimated time to complete: 1 hour
Please review post and response expectations.Please review the rubric to ensure that your response meets criteria(Read Me First Section of the Course).
How You See Me: (2017, January 9). Disability [Video File}. Retrievedfrom: https://www.youtube.com/embed/bwW6mYdJ7Xc