It is important to identify and understand your own family culture in order to be able to understand and respect other cultures. Interview a family member, and an individual from another culture with which you are unfamiliar. Some examples of an individual from another culture to consider for the assignment include a neighbor, coworker, patient, or friend. Please inform the individuals of the purpose of this assignment and make sure you receive their consent.
Review the “Family Interview ” template prior to the interview. Additional space is designated on the template for you to create three additional questions to ask both interviewees (family member and person from another culture). Additional questions should be relevant to the readings or discussion and should provide value to the interview by helping to understand culture.
Some of the questions may include:
- Family beliefs: Have they changed over generations?
- Educational and occupational status in the culture and in the family
- Communication methods: verbal and nonverbal
- Current family goals/priorities
- Family member roles and organizational systems
- Spiritual beliefs: current practice and death and dying
- Alternative lifestyles
- Work attitudes and structure
Using the “Family Interview ” template, interview your designated family member and the person from another culture. Be sure to write your responses in a way that will assist you in writing your paper. After the interview is completed, write a paper of 750-1,000 words that includes the following:
- An introductory paragraph with the reasons for selecting the interviewees
- A summary of the responses from the interview template gathered from the interviewees
- A comparison and contrast of your findings between the two interviewees
- A reflective concluding paragraph on how family roles affect the cultural domains and relationships for each individual
Submit both the completed “Family Interview” template and the written paper” to the instructor.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion