Review the following lectures:
- Georgetown University Health Policy Institute. (2004). Cultural competence in health care: Is it important for people with chronic conditions? Retrieved from https://hpi.georgetown.edu/agingsociety/pubhtml/cultural/cultural.html
- Jacobs, E., Shepard, D., Suaya, J., & Stone, E. (n.d.). Overcoming language barriers in health care: Costs and benefits of interpreter services. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448350/pdf/0940866.pdf
- Quinton, S. (2017, February 13). Health care adjusts to a more diverse America. Retrieved from http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2017/02/13/health-care-adjusts-to-a-more-diverse-america
Before beginning work on this discussion forum, please review the link “Doing Discussion Questions Right” and any specific instructions for this topic.
Before the end of the week, begin commenting on at least two of your classmates’ responses. You can ask technical questions or respond generally to the overall experience. Be objective, clear, and concise. Always use constructive language, even in criticism, to work toward the goal of positive progress.
- Discuss how a language difference can decrease the likelihood of optimal healthcare outcomes and impact healthcare cost. In your response, include the increased cost resulting from language barriers and the potential risks and concerns associated with using noncertified methods of translation.
- In addition, include one additional point that you have identified in the readings. As a hypothetical member of the healthcare organization’s workforce, you can suggest a policy to address the point.
To support your work, use your course and readings provided, if you elect to perform additional research to support your position. Cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Your initial posting should be addressed in 1-2 pages. Be sure to cite your sources using APA format.