A 50yo African American woman presents to clinic feeling tired for the last 3 months. She also has trouble breathing when walking 2-3 blocks. She sleeps on 2 pillows at night to help with her breathing. PMH: HTN, arthritis. Physical exam: edema present in both feet. Medications: HCTZ 12.5mg daily, verapamil SA 120 mg daily, ibuprofen 200 mg BID for arthritis in knee. Vitals: height 5’2″, 63kg, BP 134/84, HR 78, EF 30% per echocardiogram. Her labs are normal including a creatinine of 1.1. She denies chest pain or palpitations. Her EKG reveals normal sinus rhythm with no evidence of ischemia or recent acute coronary syndrome.
- How would you classify her heart failure?
- What changes (modifications, additions, deletions) to her medications do you recommend that will:
- Improve her symptoms?
- Impact long term outcomes?
- What monitoring parameters do you recommend?
- What non-pharmacologic recommendations do you have?
Post your initial response by Wednesday at midnight. Respond to one student by Sunday at midnight. Both responses should be a minimum of 150 words, scholarly written, APA formatted, and referenced. A minimum of 2 references are required (other than your text). Refer to the Grading Rubric for Online Discussion in the Course Resource section.