An 83-year-old resident of a skilled nursing facility presents to the emergency department with generalized edema of extremities and abdomen. History obtained from staff reveals the patient has a history of malabsorption syndrome and difficulty eating due to lack of dentures. The patient has been diagnosed with protein malnutrition
Post an explanation of the disease highlighted in the scenario you were provided. Include the following in your explanation: I suggest that each bullet point be a subject heading and submit in APA format. Each bullet point should reflect a subject heading followed by subsequent content reflective of a primary source(s) of reference published within the last 6 years.
- The role genetics plays in the disease.
- Why the patient is presenting with the specific symptoms described.
- The physiologic response to the stimulus presented in the scenario and why you think this response occurred.
- The cells that are involved in this process.
- How another characteristic (e.g., gender, genetics) would change your response.